Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disappearing boat

Default Disappearing boat

I visit a website which focuses on pool 26 of the Mississippi river, where my boat is on. The other day someone posted these photos. He said the boat slowly disappeared before his eyes. The water was icy & the sun was out. This is some kind of optical phenomenon apparently.
    Attached Thumbnails Disapearing boat (3-19-21).jpg   Disapearing boat 1.jpg   disapearing boat 2.jpg   disapearing boat 3.jpg   disapearing boat 4.jpg  

1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

That's strange, but moisture and the sun do strange stuff. The last two look like camera trickery, like one image on top of another.

Happy Sping man, how are your dock/corrosion issues going?
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Good one Belercous:

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY.

IT COULD ALSO BE JUST AND OPTICAL ILLUSION BASED ON SUN, GLARE, ICE AND APRIL FOOLS DAY.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

The images were posted 3 days before 4-1 & the poster said it was an optical illusion, so I doubt it was an April Fools Day gag.

Moser: (Thanks for asking) I put a timer on my battery charger over the winter so instead of running 24 hrs/day it only ran for about 2. I'll hafta increase the time when I start using it, but I won't let it charge all day & night just to be safe. It should be OK as I replaced the anode (which needed replacing 10 yrs ago) & added another. I was concerned about how the brazed spots would hold up in cold temps, but the logs were frozen in pretty good this winter & it doesn't appear to have effected them at all. (Which was why I didn't even consider JB Weld or epoxy.
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 hp Merc, 2 stroke

Are you sure that’s pool 26...? ...and not Area 51....? LOL
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

In WW2 there was a “Philadelphia Experiment” in which the Nave supposedly explored the possibility of causing a warship to become invisible or “cloaked”.

When the news was leaked, the Navy quickly declared it to be a hoax.... but there were people who claimed to witness the disappearing-act. Perhaps it was only an optical illusion such as yours, Belercous?
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread