Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beach anchoring method

Default Beach anchoring method

What do y'all do for beach anchoring? We will be renting a summer cabin for a week on the lake. The owners have a dock with slips next door that we more than likely won't be able to use since they have a boat rental business. I can let my anchor rode out off the rental's narrow beach, and then come close to shore and tie the stern to a screw-in beach anchor. But I'm concerned about the rode being out where possibly inexperienced boat renters might run over the line. I'm thinking interfering with their boaters by 'restricting' too much of an area where my rode is might not go over so well.

I'm really not wanting to run the boat aground and tie it off to the beach anchor but that may be the best solution.
    2021 18' Sun Tracker Bass Buggy
    60 hp Merc
    Lake Livingston, East Texas

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide
    Camelia Lake, Huntsville, East Texas

What about a 5 gallon bucket with a bag of quikcrete in it, dropped on the bottom, and tied to a jug for a mooring ball. Snap into the mooring ball in the stern and tie off to the bank in the bow? Will you have to deal with tides? current? wind? If it is a quiet protected area that would work.

I would check with the cabin owner, ask him which slip I should use, rentals aren't cheap, and you should expect some special treatment. They have dealt with the issue many times I'm sure, make them spell it out to you, maybe you do get a slip.

Congrats on the new boat, enjoy.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

The OPs first post would work....IF...instead of a long twisted-rope anchor rode.... a 30-50 ft rode of 3/8” chain.... which would not only securely anchor your boat but would lie on the bottom and not interfere with your neighbors’ used of the inlet. You might attach it to an anchor buoy close to where you want your bow to remain. Hope this makes sense.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

+ Reply to Thread