Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydraulic Steering and auto pilot

Default Hydraulic Steering and auto pilot

Update on hydraulic steering I was a little skeptical about buying a off name brand but went with Noerl . 5 months in I am very impressed its basically a copy of Baystars version for half the price. I know 5 months is not long but so far so good. I also got around to adding Ray Ev-100 AP and commissioned it yesterday that's one of the reason I had added the hydraulic steering. At the very least hydraulic steering is a worthy upgrade.

Hey hoejef:

Great news on the hydraulic steering. Good luck with the long term use - I've not heard of the brand you mentioned.

Tell me though what prompted you to consider an autopilot on your pontoon. And what type of traffic do you encounter where you primarily boat ?
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Hey Cap
    LOL you are not the first one to ask that question, its a boat why not.
    I have had APs on my last two boats and said I would never own another boat without one. My wife and I will take trips at times of 30-40 miles or so here on the intercoastal, a trip like that can as much as 80 + waypoints in channels.
    So basically say I am going to take a day trip points south, I would generate a route on my a78 gps which uses Navionics chart software to do dock to dock autorouting or you can do it manually if you so desire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnF73BbBPzM
    In the video the route is created using the Navionics app instead of using the app I use my a78 and it automatically feeds route info to AP and follows it.
    I understand were your going with boat traffic and at times it can be very heavy along a given portion of a route but not a problem its just a matter of jogging or just taking the helm.
    People tend to draw conclusions about APs and in the wrong hands they can be down right dangerous if not used properly.
    I've had my captains license for 20yrs and been boating since I was a kid. I tend to be vigilant and aware of my surroundings when underway. I myself rarely leave the helm and if so its for a second and only when no other vessels are around.
    If I do decide I want to take a breather and let wife take the helm all she needs to do is acknowledge each waypoint as they come up.
    Oh yeah and I tend to like gadgets as my father in-law so suggests.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai9hgHpUd9Lz4lPjdAikaTCNk8RZ this is my setup

Quote Originally Posted by hoejef View Post
    . ...I tend to be vigilant and aware of my surroundings when underway....
    That’s nice.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Thanks hoejef:

Fully understand now.

Great that you have your Captains license.

Enjoy !!
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread