Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New again to baitcasting

Default New again to baitcasting

I bought a Kastking baitcaster initially to use for a trolling set up. But I like it so much that it's going to get regular use. I have a 30# mono backer, 30# braided line, and about 6' of 12# flouro leader. I'm able to cast it generally well enough if I concentrate, but my mag brakes have to be set to almost max for lighter lures. How do I get that initial setting down in the middle so I have room up or down to adjust for wind/lure weight? I'm guessing I need to play with the tension setting.
    2021 18' Sun Tracker Bass Buggy
    60 hp Merc
    Lake Livingston, East Texas

1980-ish 10' Sunfisher
    55# MotorGuide
    Camelia Lake, Huntsville, East Texas

Go to lighter line to let you throw lighter baits. I throw 5 inch Redfins and #18 Rapala's for Stripers with Abu 5500s with 12 or 15 piound Stren, or P-Line mono. I can throw them a mile as long as I can see the bait and slow it down on landing with my thumb. As soon as it gets dark, I have to crank the brake down r go to a spincast rod.

My friend told me to think of the line like it was a rope, and you have to have enough weight to get the rope off the reel, or it will pile up on the reel.

A 10 pound Striper, in the dark, is quite an experience on 12 pound mono, on bass gear.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread