Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avalon Pontoon Boats

Default Avalon Pontoon Boats

We are very close to pulling the trigger on a Catalina 2385 Quad Lounger with a Mercury Verado 250hp motor. Since I am retired I have spent the better part of a few weeks doing research. A few days of studying how to modify our existing dock boat lift. I have 41 Performance Bulletins for Avalon/Tahoe.

If anyone is interested in scoping out an Avalon please feel free to PM me. I am glad to share.

The one question I have not found the answer to is where is the center of gravity for the Catalina 2385. It has 2 configurations. Normal and an extended 2ft bow option. Photos below show to scale drawings. The standard version comes with 22ft tubes standard, but when you order the bow extension it comes with 24ft tubes. I worry about the boat being rear heavy when on the boat lift. The blue lines are the actual cradle and the red lines are the 14ft bunk boards. We just redid the dock adding a walkway around to be able to wash completely the outside of the boat. We really don't want to change that.

Would be interested in any members thoughts. Even Avalon did not know center of gravity, probably not that unusual as fuel, water and gear can change that measurement.

Thank You

Be Safe

M

Click image for larger version

Name:	bow-extension.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1697

Name:	standard.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1698

Do they have a picture of the boat on a trailer? The COG is going to be just in front of the point right between the axles, if you figure on 10% of the weight being on the tongue of the trailer. That is not real scientific, but a pretty good guestimate.

I can see your point, my old Forester would pop the tongue in the air if you walked to the back, that would be a completely different experience if it happened on the lift.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

M
    Nice set up,have a buddy in Cape Coral with a dock setup similar.
    Can you please tell me, do you rinse/ spray off the Saltwater on the pontoons.
    I ask for this reason...
    Engine MFG'S say flush after use in Saltwater.
    He has a hard time getting to the middle log.

He thinks they will add a ramp to the back for him to do what ever maintenance he wants to do.?
    Attached Thumbnails dock CC, FL.jpg   FL , CC dock..jpg  
    Last edited by funtooner; 06-16-2021 at 08:57 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

This is the only shot I can find of exact boat & motor on trailer. Since this boat says it has a 23ft deck seems that COG is somewhere around 16ft from front edge of deck? Had a small error in length do to including ladder in the 23ft. Adjusted on this attachment.

Thoughts?

M

Name:	2385QL.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1699

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1700

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    Do they have a picture of the boat on a trailer? The COG is going to be just in front of the point right between the axles, if you figure on 10% of the weight being on the tongue of the trailer. That is not real scientific, but a pretty good guestimate.
    ….
    Moser, I can appreciate the logic in your reply…but I’ll point out that what you have actually described is the IDEAL…. not what the actuality might be.
    The concept of trailer design would place the CG of the load over the axles…or even slight AHEAD of them…after all, 10-15% should be on the trailer tongue.
    But without knowing the CG of the object PRIOR to building the trailer…it would only be a trailer mfr’s best estimate. Pontoon trailer mfr’s assume that the boats will have their CG approximately at the 60%-70% Moment/Arm measured from the datum (usually the Bow).
    It’s disconcerting that Avalon cannot provide both the GW and the CG of their boats as-delivered. I’d suggest that GadgetX press-them harder on the issue.

As for the boat lift balance…. Isn’t your previous boat also stern-heavy? What was your previous boat? What was it’s Gross Wt? Where was IT’S CG..?? (do you know?).
    Last edited by FogHorn; 06-17-2021 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by funtooner View Post
    M
    Nice set up,have a buddy in Cape Coral with a dock setup similar.
    Can you please tell me, do you rinse/ spray off the Saltwater on the pontoons.
    I ask for this reason...
    Engine MFG'S say flush after use in Saltwater.
    He has a hard time getting to the middle log.

He thinks they will add a ramp to the back for him to do what ever maintenance he wants to do.?
    Awesome boat !!

Foghorn, that's why I said it is a guestimate.

We have moved boats on trailers a few times to get better weight distribution. I don't like t do it, because I can't put it on a scale and be certain of what is where. I don't want the liability of having set a boat on a trailer that maybe knocks a family off the road some day.

I would bet that Avalon could give him a number but won't, because if they do and it is wrong, they might have some liability for damage or injuries. If they say nothing, they can't be wrong.

GadgetX, can you secure the boat to the lift or the walkway, maybe just until you learn how the boat is going to behave on the lift? It might be as easy as a couple of cleats on the walkway at the bow, so she can't tip off on you. It looks to me like the 22 might be ok, and the 24 a little closer to the edge. I would hate to see you have to get less boat over this, and it would be nice if they would help. If the dealer has one on a trailer, they coulld give you a real good idea, of where it is, if they would go out to the boat, see where the axles are, and check the tongue weight. Tell them you need it or you can't buy the boat. You might get some help from the lift manufacturer too. Good Luck.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I now believe I will be ok. Looked at some of the other 'toons on boat lifts around the bayou. Now I have to figure out how much run off is needed to the rear. My other boats have been fine with the lift set at 4" from front beam to rear beam. Beams are 10ft apart.

Thank you for the replies...

M

Try putting your vessel on the lift and strumming the cables like you would a bass guitar, should be close in key

Not sure about the center of gravity, I had also asked Avalon about the COG on a boat I ordered back at the end of February & was also told they could not provide that information. I am not sure if you have placed the order for this boat yet, but I am still waiting on a boat that was ordered from Avalon in late February for a late May delivery. I am now told the boat will not begin production until late August "at best" with a 4-5 week production time. Just a heads up if this is not a stock boat. If you have placed the order I would be interested in knowing what delivery was quoted.

+ Reply to Thread