Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home

The Pontoon and Deck boat forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Transducer placement

Humm Foghorn:

From your photo it appears that the leading edge is about 1/2" or so higher than the trailing edge.

In an earlier comment, Captain Tony said:

("If you angle the transducer slightly toward the forward area, (slightly @ 1/2" or so) then the signal that comes back may still find the boat in the area to decode and display what it sees")

Well, it works for me on our Summit Tri-toon and after some trial & error as Moser said, it may work for you.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

The unit is going to pick up whatever comes back to it and display it as it thinks it should be. Since sound is travelling about 5000 feet per second in water, you will have to be booking to outrun the signal. Old fishermen say if you are over big fish and are not getting nice hooks, but upside down J's instead, the transducer needs to be tipped up or down, depending on which way the J hooks. With pontoons it is a lot of trial and error, and what works for one guy, may not for another. I usually start out with my transducers tipped like Foghorns there, although not quite as much as that.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tony View Post
    Humm Foghorn:

From your photo it appears that the leading edge is about 1/2" or so higher than the trailing edge.

In an earlier comment, Captain Tony said:

("If you angle the transducer slightly toward the forward area, (slightly @ 1/2" or so) then the signal that comes back may still find the boat in the area to decode and display what it sees")

Well, it works for me on our Summit Tri-toon and after some trial & error as Moser said, it may work for you.
    That pic was taken to show how the mounting bracket sits well-above the bottom of the tubes and slightly below the aluminum plate it’s bolted to…. it does not show the final angle of the transducer itself. The leading edge is indeed slightly higher than the trailing edge in the final adjustment however… not a 1/2” higher tho’…
    This pic may be a better one:
    Attached Thumbnails EA3D1083-97C2-44B3-8015-440C78130A75.jpg  

If it works there, that is the perfect place for it, and it is set exactly right.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Hi hoejef:

Trial & error. Adjust until you get the best compromise that will return a bottom image & structure
    that you accept at the speed you believe it should read your signal.

Like Moser said, if it works there, that's the best place for it.

For me the 1/2 inch forward angle gives good representation up to & including 30 mph.
    I'm always looking to see if I have diminishing depth at speed so I can react.

I'm not looking for fish at 30 MPH and any submerged tree limbs, floating junk, etc. will likely
    be found by the sound it made hitting the 'toon not by an image on the scope.

Then again I'm not always running at 30. 3200 RPMs gives a comfortable 16 - 18 MPH depending on water conditions.

Have a great 4th of July.
    Stay Healthy.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread