Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Engine Noise coming off the Throttle

Quote Originally Posted by FogHorn View Post
    What I was asking is…. How much did the “fix” cost when it was all over and done? …I.E. What was the “bottom line” on the Invoice?
    Sorry I understand now. The new lower unit cost about $2400. I may or may not replace these gears. Not sure if it's worth doing.

Do you guys think it's worth replacing the damaged pinions and bearings? I priced it all out and it'll be roughly $400 to replace them all. Not sure what I'll do with a second lower unit that's rebuilt but otherwise it's just trash and that seems wasteful...

It’s a shame you couldn’t have spent the $400 repairing your old LU instead of $2400 on a new one….but perhaps insufficient information existed previously to avoid that. You might be able to sell it.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

It’s a shame you couldn’t have spent the $400 repairing your old LU instead of $2400 on a new one….but perhaps insufficient information existed previously to avoid that. You might be able to sell it.
    Correct, I certainly had insufficient information and also time available since I do rent the boat out. I lost several thousand dollars that week I was waiting for the new LU, so it would have been much more had I gave started my diagnosis. Fortunately now I have plenty of time and the whole LU is just sitting on the workbench in the garage in pieces. That's a better pace for me

Just wasn't sure if it was feasible to be able to sell it or if it's worth it to keep it around. I may repair it just to have a spare LU handy perhaps.

Yes, (without re-reading each/every/entire thread it’s difficult to remember every detail in a particular conversation, and I forgot you rent the boat out)…
    Since you are in the rental business, I’ll venture that renters will run a boat they don’t own into the rocks more frequently than an owner will…. a spare LU might be a good thing to have lying around.) ;>)
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Yes, (without re-reading each/every/entire thread it’s difficult to remember every detail in a particular conversation, and I forgot you rent the boat out)…
    Since you are in the rental business, I’ll venture that renters will run a boat they don’t own into the rocks more frequently than an owner will…. a spare LU might be a good thing to have lying around.) ;>)
    lol that is a good point. I have been fairly lucky with damages to the boat. But also since I do it through Boatsetter.com, they have full coverage insurance for everything that happens from damages to death, etc. I've actually had a renter tie the pontoon off using the bimini post and the adjacent boat destroyed the entire port fencing. Insurance covered it all and since I replaced the fence panel myself, I was able to keep the labor reimbursement costs for myself. However you do prove a good point especially with careless renters.

+ Reply to Thread