Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home

The Pontoon and Deck boat forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Noise coming off the Throttle

Running it again: https://photos.app.goo.gl/56C4KZGz3riGsgaG7

Interestingly, the marks I had just placed on the hub prior to starting the engine were now misaligned so I'm on the way to get a new hub pressed into the prop. Not sure that contributes to the magnetic shavings on the plug, bit gotta start somewhere.

So I learned this particular prop is a cushion lock prop and some slippage is normal. The guy said he saw definite signs of wear and replaced all the cushions anyway. So that's good and new, bad news is that doesn't explain the metal shavings.

And finally(THANK YOU for putting up with me, I just really like the help on this forum), a video of the shifting next to the lower unit. Pretty sure something is going on down there...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/nD61kmfxEq1Qj31U7

It's time to get the bearing carrier out and see whats going on, or get that to a pro. Today it is fixable with seals and bearings, probably. If you nkeep running it, it may break something inside, or the case and then you are looking at $$$$$.

Before I paid someone $2500 to rebuild it, I would consider the SEI units with a 3 year warranty. There are good and bad reviews on those, my neighbor is a year in to using one with excellent results.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    It's time to get the bearing carrier out and see whats going on, or get that to a pro. Today it is fixable with seals and bearings, probably. If you nkeep running it, it may break something inside, or the case and then you are looking at $$$$$.

Before I paid someone $2500 to rebuild it, I would consider the SEI units with a 3 year warranty. There are good and bad reviews on those, my neighbor is a year in to using one with excellent results.
    I am actually considering buying a whole new lower unit from boats.net or Crowley Marine. Reason being is that I rent the boat out and the cost of a new unit(I've priced with shipping is about $2700) is easily recovered in a week or two of rentals. In that time, I also get to remove the defective lower unit and take more time to inspect/repair.

Is 2700 a reasonable amount for an entire lower unit assembly? I have the tools to remove everything but it would be easier over time I think.

So in a hypothetical situation, if I wasn't to get it fixed right away(which I should be this week), what would happen should the situation get worse? The boat would just stop moving in gear?

Hi Josh:

Well I looked at your posted photos and feel that you definitely have something going on in that lower unit. Judging by the amount
    of shavings in the lube, and especially with a recent "flushing" of lube I'd say don't wait !!

It is not going to correct on it's own and since you rent out the boat it may put you in a liability situation "if" when it locks up.

The resultant damage could be more extensive than just the lower unit. I.E. it could bend the drive shaft and/or do case damage
    to the middle housing from the motor to the lower unit -- taking out the impeller, pump housing, splines on the shaft etc.

Not trying to predict doomsday but why wait to spend twice the dollars when you could possibly fix the issue for half.

Take Moser's advice and bite the bullet now.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tony View Post
    Hi Josh:

Well I looked at your posted photos and feel that you definitely have something going on in that lower unit. Judging by the amount
    of shavings in the lube, and especially with a recent "flushing" of lube I'd say don't wait !!

It is not going to correct on it's own and since you rent out the boat it may put you in a liability situation "if" when it locks up.

The resultant damage could be more extensive than just the lower unit. I.E. it could bend the drive shaft and/or do case damage
    to the middle housing from the motor to the lower unit -- taking out the impeller, pump housing, splines on the shaft etc.

Not trying to predict doomsday but why wait to spend twice the dollars when you could possibly fix the issue for half.

Take Moser's advice and bite the bullet now.
    I actually did already order a new LU from the dealer and it's supposed to arrive Fri/Sat, if not then Mon, set me back about $2400. I do have about 25 hours worth of rentals between now and when the LU is supposed to arrive. I'm guessing based on your judgement of the issue that it's not worth running those? I'd love to recoup the total cost of the LU but it's not worth extra damages.

Here's the LU in reverse gear with no throttle as it sits today:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ssNivQBVCpgrCzBL9

Oh Boy !!

If I were a renter I might do a U turn as I back out of the slip - and pick another ride.
    That is assuming the renter is knowledgeable.

Some times many hands on the throttle & shifter contribute to issues like this.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tony View Post
    Oh Boy !!

If I were a renter I might do a U turn as I back out of the slip - and pick another ride.
    That is assuming the renter is knowledgeable.

Some times many hands on the throttle & shifter contribute to issues like this.
    I did recently adjust the shifter linkage, it felt like the throttle was already engaging before I fully shifter into gear. Unfortunately, it's been that way since I bought the boat so I fear too little, too late.

And as far as the rentals go(not that it matters), my process is that I meet them at the parking lot at the park, load up people and cargo onto the pontoon and launch everyone at once onto the water. Then when the rental is over, I have them come meet and pick me up from the dock, I trailer the boat and drive them back to the parking spot. People seem to like the whole "Carside to carside" service. So far, 91 5-star reviews! Which is also why I'm hesitant to take it out much more, or let anyone rent it... I have a good reputation and don't want to damage it over maybe a thousand dollars lost revenue.

I remember someone on here was asking me a while back about how the rentals work, was it you Tony?

+ Reply to Thread