Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home

The Pontoon and Deck boat forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Used Pontoon Boat

Default Used Pontoon Boat

Greetings All,
    Looking into a used pontoon boat. Found one locally FSBO that looks to be in excellent condition.
    2005 Premier Grand Majestic PTX 27-foot Triple Pontoon w/ 4.3 Mercury V6 inboard outboard with 360 hours that was serviced every 50 hours.
    Basically it has every option that was available at the time it was ordered.
    Full cover for evening cruises, BBQ, Small galley with sink, Porta Pottie and a coffee table that doubles as an ice chest.
    It has courtesy lights, remote control spot light and retractable dock lines.
    It has a ski bar, ski platform and an inflatable slide that attaches to the side of the boat.
    Electronics include a Garmin depth and fish finder, Sirius satellite radio and a great stereo system with multiple speakers.
    Always stored inside and includes a full mooring and towing cover.
    34 Foot EZ Loader Tandem Axle Trailer has new 8 ply tires.
    The seller is asking $50,000.00 Brand new today this boat would list at $167K.
    I'm having a hard time finding prices for used boats.
    Any thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Used boat market is hot also.If its been cared for like you say, the price is not unreasonable.

It is a 15 year old boat with a 200HP (about) I/O. I sure won't say don't buy it, but give a pro someone a few bucks to look it over very closely before you drop 50K on it. Not being used is not good for those engines and drives. I would also insist on testing the boat, you may not get the performance you think it will have. If the guy hesitates at letting you do those things, he has a reason for hesitating, and you should walk away.

$50K will buy a lot of boat still, including 200hp tri-toons with lots of warranty left.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Thanks for the info. I've been doing a lot of research and cannot believe the secrecy that goes on with boat prices. Even motorcycles are more open about prices both new and used.
    I contacted a boat manufacturer and requested the specs and MSRP for a specific year and boat model. Received an email reply that stated "we cannot release that information".
    Seriously!? MSRP and specifications?

Well Dave, the Manufacturer won't give out the MSRP because many built boats are equipped slightly different
    from the last one they built due to those "Options & Accessories" the individual dealer installs and the need to re-direct
    you back to a dealer for that info.

It's not exactly like the Auto business where a "Monroney Label" or sticker is generated at the point of build by the manufacturer.
    There is an official sticker but due to freight, dealer accessories, etc. etc., Premier may not have most content knowledge of a 2005 model.

The industry has change a lot since this boat was built and so has the market. Right now pontoons are the fastest
    growing segment of the market - new or used.

Some dealers are 10 months behind on getting ordered inventory, trailers are at a premium and used boats are bringing
    crazy dollars. Decide what you want, what you like, what this has and test drive - test drive - test drive.

Then open up the check book ONLY if it fits your needs. The two most regrettable thoughts todays buyer has is.
    1. I should have gotten more HP - Outdrive or Outboard.
    2. I would like more equipment / options / newer etc.

Getting into the boating segment with a used pontoon is easier if you seek the advice of fellow boat owners.
    Last edited by Captain Tony; 08-05-2021 at 08:38 AM.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Thanks Captain Tony

RedmtDave…. pardon if this seems “blunt”…. but I’d see how firm the seller is on price on that one. Inboard/outboard (stern drives) are falling out of favor on pontoon boats and that one is at the high-end of the mkt, in my opinion.
    But the bottom line for a purchaser is: If it is what YOU want…. then if it checks out mechanically…. it’s worth what you’re willing to pay for it. (THAT boat is 16 years old…. meaning, it’s NOT a youngster for this sort of boat, and the propulsion is a serious chunk of the value. If that system gives you trouble…HOW are you going to fix it? I.E., call a marina and ask them “Hey, I’ve got a stern-drive on a pontoon and it’s got a problem… Can you fix it?”.
    You might be in for a shock as to how long and how much it’s gonna cost you to get back into the water. Don’t buy a boat because people are saying the market is tight. If it’s tight, is the time to get critical.
    Just sayin’….

Hope this works out in your favor.
    Kind regards,
    FH

+ Reply to Thread