Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home

The Pontoon and Deck boat forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transom Saver available?

Default Transom Saver available?

I recentley purchased a 2013 Sunchaser Oasis 818 that has a 2018 Mercury 20hp engine. The trailer is a 2018 Shorelandr pontoon trailer. The person I purchased this from said he didn't use an transom savor for the engine. He had only used the trailer twice to pull te boat.

The approximate distance from the engine to the axle which has a small running light is about 64 inches. I've looked at the transom savors but couldn't anything with the length I need. I also saw someone was using "MyWedge". I have no idea why/how the MyWedge could take the place of an actual transom savor.

Mercury Manufactoring suggests a transom savor should used. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks alot!!
    Attached Thumbnails IMG_1841.jpg   IMG_1839.jpg   IMG_1961 (1).jpg  

Hi Chap:

Well transom savers come in many versions and lengths. Just google the phrase and you will find that
    Bass Pro, Cabellas, (same thing), amazon, Dicks sporting goods, Walmart and several others sell these items.

They are made by and bear the names of Motormate, Attwood, Rite-Hite, Panther, Seasense and others.
    They are very useful if you trailer any distance however I should save they are usually for boats and 'toons with
    much heavier engines than what I saw in your pictures.

A relatively light outboard wont stress your pontoon transom over a short trip but if you are concerned
    then by all means buy one. If you need a fitting to bolt onto the trailer cross beam I'd suggest you
    look to Tracker at Bass Pros and they sell the aluminum fitting to use with a saver.

With a 20 hp outboard I don't think it's really a problem.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I agree with Capt. Tony that it’s unlikely to be needed for that motor.
    I would consider raising it up on the transom, however. It looks to be running a bit on the deep side.
    (I also rotated your pic and reposted it, so it looks like the pic uploads are working again. Thx.)
    Attached Thumbnails CF8007BB-CA21-44A9-8059-54C562353FE4.jpg  

To TheChap1
    and FogHorn:

Fog you are right on the money about the mounting in the top hole on that Merc. 20.

Chap, if you look at the anti-cavitation plate on your outboard it should be closer to the bottom of the boat's hull.
    Having said that on a twin 'toon pontoon you should determine the actual water line, not the motor mount bracket.

Look for the algae, scum line on your logs and raise your mounting to about an 1" or so below
    that imaginary line. It appears you could come up by 1 or two 2 holes on the motor bracket.

If you do this run the boat through the various throttle settings and even a short time at WOT, wide open throttle.
    If you get any sudden increase in RPMs then you have gone too far up. Also be careful about prop blow out in a tight turn.

By raising you may also pick up a 1 to 2 MPH increase, although, with a 20hp outboard, a cooler, 2 or 3 more people on deck
    it's going to be hard to notice much difference. Try a solo run to get the feel of the change.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

+ Reply to Thread