Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home

The Pontoon and Deck boat forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: mid-level pontoon

Default mid-level pontoon

I am planning to buy a mid-level pontoon . My vision at the moment is to keep it on marine and once or twice a season go to some other lake for a couple of days, like people do with a boat. Plus, kids can learn how to skiing. In Canada, the boating season is short.
    I'm thinking of a 20ft tritun with a 150hp engine, because it will be more difficult to drive with pontoon bigger size.
    I guess this design gives more stability in rougher and calm water.
    Is it practical to drive pontoon to different location? Is this a reasonable modification or it is overbuild ? Any particular brand you can recommend ?

That’s what I have…. a tritoon with a 150 outboard and sitting on a trailer….go to different lakes within 50 miles each other. Easy/peazy and FUN.

Some company offer Suzuki DF 115 HP for 20 ft tritoon... Is it good enough for run and skiing ?

115 on a 20 footer, would be an excellent first pontoon, capable of pulling tubes and skiiers, and cruising the day away.

Having said that I will go back to the first rule in pontoons, which says, "Always get the biggest motor the law and your budget allows."

Welcome to the forum, kna
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Welcome to the Pontoon & Deck Boat Forum:

It sounds like a well thought out plan for a 20 foot Tritoon. Yes, the 3 log Tritoons
    are better in rough water and they handle the weight and load of passengers and gear better.

I would suggest, as Moser stated, if the 20" tritoon you decide to purchase offers a 150hp outboard
    then make the stretch to get the largest motor the boat is certified for.

In other words, check the NMMA certification plate near the helm and see if it says (x) maximum horsepower
    and (x) number of persons. You won't go wrong with the top hp engine.

I would look at both Mercury and Yamaha along with Honda as you may find those brands are easier to get
    serviced in your area due to popularity.

Certainly nothing wrong with Suzuki but I'd check with other boaters to see what the majority
    use is in the area you decide to store and primarily boat.

Good luck with your purchase and send us picture when you get the boat.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

Yes! ….and Suzuki also is coming on strong in the outboard market. Never pass up the chance ot have bigger bilge-pumps, anchors, motors, boobs, etc. the bigger is usually the better! LOL

I found out that one company offers to install a portable toilet. It can be suitable with children and the elderly. Can this be used?
    Now all show room are empty and i can check tri-toon online only. Debating between Legend vs StarCraft vs PrincescCaft vs SunChaser.
    Any advice or any other company ?

My partybarge came with a porta pot in a seat base. I replaced it with a pump out MSD toilet of the same size to make it legal to sleep on the boat at Corps of Engineers lakes. Not everyone is comfortable with a trek up unto the woods anymore, so it has been used and we were glad we had it. If you have the room, a bucket with a seat and a trash bag liner with some kitty litter in it works and is actually easier for some folks to use. We now have the MSD to keep the law happy, and a bucket we use if we need to. Toilet issues are a PITA but must be considered and addressed if everyone is to be comfortable on a cruise, especially older folks and kids.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Toilet-.../dp/B004SFKJIQ
    These are really simple and easy to use and not disgusting to service. Add a 1/4 cup of bleach to the clear-water tank and fill the tank.
    After about a dozen uses …. close the knife-valve, pop up the side latches and carry like a suitcase (has a handle) the bottom black tank to any regular toilet. Sit the tank on its’ side on the lip of the regular toilet and open the cap to pour the contents into the toilet bowl. FLush.
    Position the black tank to add water to it to rinse it out…and dump it again. Flush.
    Take the black tank back to the boat, and set it down, place the top tank/seat assembly on it, close the latches, perform one flush (to put a little bleach-water-blend into the black tank) ….and then refill the top clear-water tank with bleach-water-blend again. Now ready for another trip.
    Sounds much harder and dirtier than it actually is. (If you’re especially squeamish, grab a box of cheap latex gloves from Harbor Freight and keep nearby.)

We have one of these on our boat (inside the pop-up dressing room) and the ladies really appreciate it. (So do I early in the morning after. cup of coffee.)

As a retired corporate pilot and travel-trailer owner I’ve dumped lots of portable toilets in my life and it’s not as disgusting as you might think if you plan properly. Not nearly as bad as changing a 1-year-olds diaper.

thanks for the reply ... so many things i have to learn ... any advice on pontoon manufacturers : Legend vs StarCraft vs PrincescCaft vs SunChaser.

+ Reply to Thread