Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: $$$$ of a performance PKG....

Default $$$$ of a performance PKG....

They sure make it hard to add performance now a days,... (MFG's)
    From 4,200 to 6,300
    But what kind of gas savings ???
    And the HP that's needed to get the performance..???
    Attached Thumbnails DSCN0509..jpg  
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

That was then,..... and now we have pontoons with 2 motors and $$$
    But you can't take it with you.!!!
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

I agree you can't take it with you. Do what makes you happy in life and worry about the rest later. Not that I could afford anything I want (far from it), but being comfortable and enjoying a few of life's pleasures is just fine with me. I do enjoy seeing how far Pontoons have come over the years. I remember when a 50 HP was a big deal on a toon. Showing my age I guess. Debbie and I had a 28 HP Johnson on our first toon and it was fun, albeit, slow. We knew some folks at the lake that rented toons and they had just gotten one in with a 50 HP, so I asked if I could take it for a spin. WOW, what a difference! I was amazed at the power. But that was then and no comparison to what's out there now days. Even the last 10 years has shown what can be done with toons. That's why they are becoming the most popular boat there is.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Watching what it costs to get in a new boat, I'm pretty certain I'll try buying a couple tired pontoons with bigger tubes and solid bones in the Spring. I'll take them down to the decks, fix what needs fixed, redeck if needed, recarpet, throw a pontoon stuff interior on, power them with midrange motors and see what I can make on them. I think there is money to be made there.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

There's definitely is money to be made. I've known of more than a couple of people that do very well doing just what you propose. If I had it in me, I'd surely be doing it too. As popular as toons are and what they cost new, it's almost a sure bet and money maker.
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

So true.
    No wonder that pontoons are the fastest growing/selling segment in the boating industry.
    I'd love to do what you are saying Larry. Somehow I can't seem to find the free time.
    Between antique cars, wood working, house projects in STL and LOTO and travels; it all gets away from one.
    Keep it up - it keeps you young.
    Captain Tony
    2005 Summit by Triton - 220T Platinum 3Log
    2005 115HP Mercury Optimax - 228 Marine Master Trailer
    St. Louis & Lake of the Ozarks, MO.

I retired at 62 and I've been trying to slowly grow a side business I've had going on for about 10 years. I'm doing outboard and general boat repairs in a building I built next to my house. I think my last customer boat of the year left yesterday. I've had at least one here since February. I flipped probably a dozen motors this year and 2 aluminum V hulls. I've got a 40 hp Mercury motor in the shop that needs a wiring harness, and a Bluefin V hull for winter projects. We gut the v hulls and make them look like new boats inside, you can really turn a nice profit on those refreshed boats.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Larry,
    At our Marina we have some project pontoons, (time is my problem ) so if you would like some info you can make some good $$$ Call me (no fins) you will need a trailer .

No joke
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

Thanks Malcolm, I can get a trailer for anything up to a 32 footer. I have a good friend with a service place over at the Raystown. He helps me with a lot of technical stuff and I can get about any of his equipment if I need it. The trip to Carolina would eat up a big chunk of the profit, but I'd be interested in what you've got on hand. I can tell you that unless you want them out of the way, you'll want more for them than I'll be willing to pay. I'm like those pickers on tv, if I can't get your stuff dirt cheap, I can't buy it. I've learned the hard way that I can't pay $1000 for a motor I get $1400 out of, there is not enough profit there to justify the time you have to put in to it. I'll send you a pm and see what you've got.

My thoughts on these rehabs is that lounging on the pontoon is pretty much as important as cruising or running hard in the high performance models. I'm thinking that I take good solid boats, put the nicer grade of furniture on them and power them with sufficient well running midrange motors. I think buyers with the shock of seeing boats with pricteags above what they paid for their homes will be tickled with these boats in the $10K range.

I talked to an upholstery guy a few weeks ago who told me that he can't do whole interiors any more for what you can buy them for.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

That is the thing ,the seats coast more than the boats value But please Send a # and I would gladly send you pictures via tex.
    Malcolm

goofy
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

+ Reply to Thread