Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trailer Valet

Default Trailer Valet

Saw a "sponsored" ad on Facebook for this. As an engineer, I think it's an interesting concept and admire them for developing it and bringing it to market. But as a boat owner, I don't think it's worth $400 - hooking up a trailer is not that big of a problem. Also, I don't think it would work in gravel, which a lot of storage lots have.

http://youtu.be/88Y76SRa13s
    =============
    Walter
    Harris Flotebote Sunliner
    Amite River Diversion
    Head of Island, LA

I agree that $400.00 is steep. And like you said, most lots are gravel and if there was any incline at all, it probably wouldn't work anyway. I think a backup camera would be money much better spent..
    Rick

St. Louis/Lake of the Ozarks

Pretty neat device, but not for $400. I think it would be handier for moving the boat around off the truck than for moving the boat to the truck.

I have a backup camera from Advance Auto on my Dodge, best $80 I ever spent for a towing accessory. Get the wired one for a full sized pickup, the wireless is a bit iffy on the full sized truck, the pic fades at the worst times.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Moser View Post
    Pretty neat device, but not for $400. I think it would be handier for moving the boat around off the truck than for moving the boat to the truck.

I have a backup camera from Advance Auto on my Dodge, best $80 I ever spent for a towing accessory. Get the wired one for a full sized pickup, the wireless is a bit iffy on the full sized truck, the pic fades at the worst times.
    Tell us more about your camera system ? is it the license plate mount type ? and what happened with the wireless type ?
    2012 Excursion X23C
    90hp Yamaha 4 stroke
    Duel Axle Trailer ready to go anywhere
    All pulled with Z71 4WD Silveradro
    Maritime Mobile KD4LZL
    Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
    FSO USCG Auxiliary
    Vietnam 66 / 67

But for free I use an old wire antennae with a large alligator clip attached to the bottom of it. Just flip up the latch on my hitch, clip the antennae to it, and I can see the antennae sticking up to guide me.
    Toonless
    Hopewell, Va - James River/Appomattox River

I have one of the Peak cameras you see on display at Advance Auto. Mine is a few years old and is the wireless camera version. The camera has a little broadcast antenna that hangs off the side of the power wires that sends the camera signal to the display. The display will sometimes fade out when the trailer gets close to the camera. It pops right back on, but it can happen at the most critical part of the backing up process. The newer cameras have a little pigtail on the power wire and another on the display. You can get an optional cable to hard wire the camera to the display.

Even with this little quirk the backup camera is a very handy tool. It really takes all the fuss out of backing in to the trailer. I look in the mirrors and stay centered up until I'm a few feet out, then watch the camera until the ball goes under the hitch, done.

I also have the tennis ball/antenna/magnet thingy's from harbor freight, they are fragile but they work. The camera is so much better though, I haven't had the harbor freight things out since I put the camera on.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_52x0i6lmx9_b

Here you go guys, all kinds here. Mine is the $40 one about 4 down, old and obsolete now, I paid a lot more.
    Last edited by Moser; 04-15-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Add link
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Drive2Boat Guest

I'll 2nd and 3rd everyone's thoughts on the trailer valet. A great idea, but pricey. Might be just the ticket for someone who has mobility challenges and especially if you need to back into a tight spot. I still do it the old way and after 7 years of connecting large ( up to 74x14' wide ) trailers to the back of a tractor trailer, it's a lot easier sliding out of my Tahoe for 2-3 checks than it was climbing down from the cab of the tractor. Sometimes 5-6 times because you don't push 6-8,000 lbs of tongue weight sideways- or any other ways!!! ( Here's a tip: Approximate how much further you need to backup and when you get back behind the wheel, pick a spot on the ground and a reference spot on your running board. Then estimate a second spot on the ground that is the distance to your trailer hitch ball and slowly back to it. Hey, it works for me. Seldom more than 3 trips to the back of the vehicle and more importantly, the back of my vehicle is not damaged any,,, yet!

I like the backup camera option. I put one on my old pickup and made sure I added one to my Tahoe when i got it. I can look at the screen and the very top of the ball as I back it under the trailer hitch. Besides, I like playing with gadgets so adding it to the truck was a bit of fun.
    Steve and Peg
    2010 Sweetwater 20ft
    2010 Yamaha 90hp
    2005 Harley ElectraGlide

Padre Guest

My Avalanche has the camera, and it is really helpful.

Welcome Padre, it's good to see another 'tooner with a tinnie to fish from.
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

+ Reply to Thread