Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loss

Default Loss

Don't know any details other than what was in the paper, but apparently a fisherman drowned at our lake yesterday morning. He was out fishing alone in a remote cove and fell out of his boat. He wasn't wearing a life jacket.

I know several people who fish on this lake just like this guy did. I sure hope it's none of them.

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?FromH...bSectionID=156
    Rick
    2010 Premier SunSation LTD 225
    PTX performance package (triple log)
    220hp 4.3L mpi Merc
    Beautiful southwestern Ohio

It's so sad that people always think it won't happen to them.
    Carl & Suzi
    Denver,NC
    2007 Bennington 2275rl tri-toon
    150 Honda 15x15p Enertia
    Power assisted steering
    Beautiful Lake Norman
    Pleiku Vietnam 1971
    Agent Orange

Happens about once a year here too. Either that or some druken moron runs into something or over another boat.
    Toonless
    Hopewell, Va - James River/Appomattox River

please, please be careful out there!
    1996 Sweetwater 2020FC
    Philpott Lake, Virginia

gary4421 Guest

Sorry to hear! We've had a similar incident at Indian this year. Recently read an article that Ohio was #3 state in boating incidents that if I remember correctly, were alcohol related. Not a number we want to have!

This past weekend was the worst weekend in a long time at the Raystown. Three deaths on the lake over the weekend, 2 out of the same boat, and one swimming with family who just went under. All three were older men, (57, 71, and 71). None of these guys had on a PFD, 2 of them drowned when one went in and the other went in after him.

We had a long talk at my house about "man overboard" procedures last night and will have one with my friends before we go out Saturday morning.

Please have your PFD's on or handy, keep your throwable ready and even keep a second one tied to a length of line. Remember your boat hook or landing net can be used to help save a life, and please remember that getting in the water with a struggling person is a last resort lifesaving move.

Can't say anything about alcohol or how these guys ages were involved, I just know it's a very sad day when you hear of fellow boaters or fishermen losing their lives doing what we all love to do.

Please try to keep safety in the front of your mind all the time, and help your guests understand the basics of boating safety. Spending a few minutes at the start of the trip discussing safety may help to keep your family from suffering the kind of loss these folks are dealing with now.
    2006 Forester 19 Fish (new deck and carpet, Pontoonstuff interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 50 ELPT4S
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper (complete rebuild from hull up, 2014)
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

Sorry to hear that Moser. You have listed some good ideas. I'm thinking a laminated pre-departure checklist might be a good idea to have aboard and reviewed prior to each launch. Thanks.
    Rick
    2010 Premier SunSation LTD 225
    PTX performance package (triple log)
    220hp 4.3L mpi Merc
    Beautiful southwestern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread