Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cleaning out the cavities... and lost speed...???

Scum, algae, barnacles, and zebra-mussels are not the only problem with boats that sit in the water. Corrosion from electrolysis, water-pollutants, nearby electrical currents from other docks and boats, and water-intrusion into lower-units and transducers also.

The CLEAR SOLUTION to ALL this …is to get that boat OUT OF THE WATER when it’s not in-use. Install a boat lift or put it on a trailer.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Yep, of it sits in the water it will get crudded up and that will slow it down. Having the boat in a dock is nice, but the headaches that go along with that add up too. My friend bought a new Party Hut in 2008 and put it in the stack storage at Raystown. They will get it out launch it and give you a slip for the day, a certain number of times through the year, based on the fee you pay each month. He got on the list for a dock and got one the following year. Once he saw all the headaches and additional costs associated to the dock, the damage that the sun did to the boat and canvas, the damage the water did to the hull and engine, he opted back into the indoor stack storage after one year.
    1992 Tracker Party barge 24 (new deck, carpet and interior, 2019)
    1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO
    1983 Sea Nymph FM171 Striper
    1985 Johnson 70 J70ELCO

Raystown Country, PA

I was shocked when I bought my Tritoon and saw the paperwork included the previous owners’ storage fees. I bought this boat in July ‘19… it is a 2015 boat that had only 39 hours on it…. apparently the former owner bought it new and it never left the dealers’ dry storage. His storage contract was $275/mo with a $50 fee to launch/recover it from storage. I’m guessing the elderly owner was not experienced in boat ownership and after three years storage with only 39 hrs useage decided he wasn’t enjoying it as much as he had thought. His annual contract was up for renewal when he put it up for sale by the dealership from whom he’d purchased and stored it. The trailer had never left the dealers’ storage since new. I’m guessing that all had something to do with his acceptance of my offer…. he likely was ready to stop the outflow.

I’m lucky to have storage on my own property. I’m not certain I could justify the storage expense so many must put with. Here’s a pic taken while I was constructing my boat-shed…. well…never mind…. despite numerous attempts I just keep getting error-notice the upload fails.
    2015 SouthBay 522FCR w/150 Yamaha

Guess then you Pay the Price for Performance with maintenance,.... Half way into summer and speeds drop.
    Attached Thumbnails lost a lot of speed with all of this hanging on  DIRTY LOG.jpg   Dirty AP merc 90..jpg  
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Different color green but same issue as to things getting into strakes and weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Close up of strake Alegi bad.jpg   Style of strake it gets in no matter green  brown  ,sand  lots of things..jpg   Zebra mussels  and other Aquatic life will grow in side Plugging draining of water so strake can.jpg  
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

+ Reply to Thread