Pontoon boat and deck boat magazine
home
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Logic, on TAP Fins

Threaded View

Default Logic, on TAP Fins

Thanks for the opportunity to explain and show how the TAP Fins came about.
    Way back when tooning was for old folks the log was small and they had a small splash fin in front, and still do. But as we all can see they have come a long way. With smaller logs the under wash just hammered the under side of the deck, so people got to thinking and they under skinned them. Big improvement, as time went on ,bigger motors went on for more speed. I used our pontoon more for camping and just cruising but got out in too many pop up storms and needed to get in faster due to the ruff waves.
    Seeing that Ive been in collision work most of my life I saw this as a collsion with water and set out to fix it.
    Like papasmurf said most pontoons plow in the waves yet, I saw that force as energy... and I was going to make it work for me. So I took my body shop skills and applied them . What came out is the TAP Fins,(Techically Advanced Performance)
    Strakes work great if your going straight.. like Carl said but while turning the side force make you skid. The fins, on the other hand, carve. With strakes your ride is harder (like a jon boat) due to the flat surface.
    But, no matter what style you have or want ,...Pontooning is the best way to go, for friends and loved ones.

Thanks, Malcolm.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by funtooner; 03-26-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: did not add frown.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Hey Malcolm! I like the idea of the T.A.P. Fins. Here are a few questions:

1. How far do they stick out? What will these do to my overall width?
    2. It looks like the inner fins would have some issues with the guides on my trailer. How much harder is this going to make loading my boat on the trailer? As you see, I have a tri-toon, and the inner fins would reduce the gaps between my toons from about 20" to what, maybe 14"? Is there a trailer guide configuration that is most compatible with T.A.P. Fins?

Thanks!
    2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
    115 HP Merc 4-Stroke

Bob,
    it's not the comprehension.... But moving to fast (my mind and age !!)But we are above the ground so life is good.
    1 the fins exstend out from the side wall 3 inch's ... there is a larger fin in the front that's 6 inch's (pictured)
    Now some put the fins on the out side , I know all about the 8,6 but that's there doing .
    2 you will have to move your guides, some trailers do not have them.
    As to loading the pontoon .. with the fins it's eazyer do to the fact that they act as a rudder and that make steering eazy.
    I'm sure you have more questions ,
    So please e me or call
    Thanks Malcolm
    Attached Images
    Last edited by funtooner; 08-21-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

" Keep a fire in your heart and a smile on your face, for you never know when your leaving this place"

Bob,
    do to the fact that I can only show 4 pictures at a time , we have gone to a thicker metal so we do not need that brace for support on top of the larger fin.
    Last edited by funtooner; 08-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

That looks pretty interesing, Malcolm! I can see that I might need to modify the size and position of my guides to avoid interference with the fins, but that shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish! My boat is only 8' wide, so the extra 3" on either side would put me right at 8'6". Besides, I could do the insides (and both sides of the middle toon) and leave the outsides alone, if it was an issue. I know that PDB did a side-by-side comparison of two boats, but I think it would be great to do a "before and after" comparison - because even identical boats don't perform identically...
    2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
    115 HP Merc 4-Stroke

Bob,
    I see that "in the real world" all pontoon logs have a nose cone, from there going back too the rear of the pontoon the energy force is being pushed off to the side. Comparison tests show this as do any picture of a "real pontoon running"
    I injoy your input on the other forum.
    I see that they STILL don't like facts on fins over there.
    Malcolm ( Goofy )
    TAP Fins
    8525 Sylvan
    200 H O E Tec

+ Reply to Thread